Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Is this it?

When I decided to be a stay at home mom and housewife, it was a huge adjustment for me.  The hardest thing I had to cope with was boredom.  I was used to working 40 to 60 hours a week, nights and evening shifts, weekends and holidays.  I had been working nights since my two youngest were born. 

Children tend to become attached to the parent that they have the most contact with.  In my home, this was my husband.  While this may not be normal for many families, I had never done anything in my life normally up to this point, so who knew the difference?  In essence, our roles were switched.

My husband bathed the children, put them to sleep, rocked them when they were sick.  He read bedtime stories every single night and tucked them in.  Dave (the mom) would get them up and make their breakfast.  He dressed the girls and dropped them at daycare.  My shifts often ended no earlier than 7 a.m. and no later than around 8:30 a.m.  I would try to sleep and pick the girls up around 3 p.m. 

Now, this might seem selfish to many moms, and I understand that, however, I was the bread winner.  I felt obligated to keep getting raises, promotions and over-time.  My husband and I were quite comfortable with our roles.  Dave drove a huge delivery truck and would often take the girls in their car seats to work with him and he made decent money but it wasn't going to be enough to support three daughters and ourselves.  I also carried all our health benefits.

Dave was 37 when our first child together was born, so he was in love with those babies! He was wrapped around their tiny little fingers from the moment they were born.  It was hilarious to me to see this great big guy bull dozed by a tiny little baby!  (Dave is 6'1 and weighs in at about 250 lbs).  I loved the way our lives were and I enjoyed working, a lot. 

I started a side business and when that took off, Dave managed the entire thing and once it got off the ground, things changed again.  Now he was making way more money than I could ever make in my field.  It took all his time though.  Things began to fall apart a little bit and we knew that we had to make a big change. 

Now it was my turn to stay home and be camp bitch.  I was in for a surprise! We all were.  I had not been back long from a sleep convention in Colorado so I was still trying to catch up.  Before week one ended, my sweet little girl asked me if I wasn't sure I wanted to "go back to Colorado."
Add caption

To be honest, I was finding out that staying home with two little girls, 5 and under was so much harder than going to work! Life got very interesting after that....


Things are getting real, real now...


No comments:

Post a Comment