Friday, September 28, 2012

Syd Vicious and Mad Dog

I quit my job in the sleep research business to stay home with my then, 4 and 5 year old.  I have an older daughter and she was 16 at the time.  While it wasn't my first time at the rodeo, I had never been a stay at home mom.  Not even close!

It isn't all fun and games!


My life was not a typical, normal American Family.  I had been more like the dad who only pops in for fun visits a few hours a day.  I cherished my girls but I spent so little waking time with them, it was all about fun! Dad gave them their baths and put them to bed.  Dave took them to daycare.  Dave was the primary caregiver. 

I raised my oldest by myself most of the time so I never worked less than two or three jobs at a time.  I lived one mile away from my parents.  My parents spoiled her terribly and she spent lots of time, happily at their house.  I never had the opportunity to stay home with her.

When I decided to stay home with Sydney and Madison, it was a whole new world.  I had NO idea how to be a stay at home mom! What did they do? I knew I had to keep the house clean and cook but then what? 

People kept telling me, I'd have all the time in the world to lay on that couch and eat Bon Bons!

These girls are very smart, I noticed that.  The two of them seemed to work in tandem at times.  Against me.  For this reason, I had special nick names for them.  Syd Vicious and Mad Dog.  I figured out quickly they were out to get me. 

Mad Dog.....


They were always whispering and planning stuff behind my back.  Like the time I caught them using their bunk bed ladder to climb out the window of their bedroom to go outside.  I could understand that if they were 16 but the fact that they were doing this at 3 and 4 did not bode well for my future.  I also caught them giving each other rides on the garage door.  One girl would hang on to the door while the other pushed the button.  Partners in crime.

Those two were going to give me a run for my money, this I knew.  I decided to approach this sort of like a 12 step program or something like that...I was going to just take it one day at a time.  The girls thought it was weird too so I knew we all had to adjust to our new life. 

So the first thing I had to figure out is...what are all the other mom's doing?  What was I responsible for in being a stay at home mom?  What does a mom do?  I mean, really do?  I decided I should probably treat this like any new job and create a sort of business plan and have some goals.

Now that first week was the easiest until Syd Vicious, who was safely on the couch watching morning cartoons (I thought!) ran into the kitchen, all red cheeked, wild eyed and screaming, "Mommy! I swallowed a Bullseye Ball!"

Week one and already an emergency!

So easy to laugh now, but was I in for a wild ride.  After 8 years being a "full time mom" I know that anything goes.  Rocks up the nose? No problem! Has your child bitten by a field mouse? Don't worry!

She lived through it all!


If you hear blood curdling screams? Don't jump up - they're just playin'!

They say silence is golden but I say it's scary! Being a mom requires every sense one can employ.  Especially that 6th one.  It's a lot of fun too.  I have found many ways to make money, including investing some funds in the stock market, a home business and being really resourceful.  Not because I have to but because it's smart!

I am writing a Hub article to link that will explain in detail how anyone can start a business from home with very little monetary investment that was profitable for me and another mother.  Computer graphic skills are a must but you could easily partner up with another mom like I did.  I can offer the short cuts and how to's. 

Being a housewife is tough some days, but keep it real! A real housewife can do anything she wants these days and look good doing it too.  It just takes lots of practice and the ability to think on your feet and lots of patience.  It isn't like on t.v. but it is what you make it. 

Make it great! 




10 comments:

  1. Loved this post! Nice to see you getting personal- its like a glimpse into your life. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie thank you so much for everything.

      This is what is hard for me - the getting personal of it! It's weird in so many ways - but super fun too! I am so glad you introduced me to the blogger side of it all. I love following and learning from you!

      Delete
  2. Wow, this was absolutely awesome and thank you for writing here to prove that a stay-at-home mom does not just sit on the couch and eat her bon-bons, as a fellow stay-at-home mom, I lost count home many times I have heard that comment too. Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it isn't just me, huh? It seemed like after I quit the "full time job" that people suddenly felt like I had nothing to do! (Well I must since I wasn't putting that uniform on right?) Ha. Ha. Ha. I had MORE to do that I could have ever imagined before and that was just trying to keep up with how everything "looked!"

      Thank you so much!

      Delete
  3. Um, where's that Hub Article? Hehehe. This is great! What a fun story and I had no idea! You pull it all off so well! I need to work on the "cleaning" part, but I give myself some slack...I'm over here trying to take photos, do some art, blog and hub all at the same time! :D Really, though, you're a great mom and I'm so honored to know you! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cyndi! Well I never met a woman like you who could swing and ax, chop a chord of wood and take self pix the whole time too! haha I wish I had your photography skills - maybe they will rub off on me! I can dream!

      Delete
  4. This was super cool... loved how you described it kind of like a rollercoaster ride. It has it's amazing parts, it's super scary parts and then the parts that just make you want to scream. Ok- maybe that is more how I describe it. But maybe that is because as I was reading this, I have one daughter balling her eyes out because her sister wants her to leave her alone, some annoying toy rattling in the back... and I am pretty sure I lost my son somewhere... oh my....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All in a day's work right BBG? hahaha Get your cape - its a new day!

      You know, reflecting back on that time is SO weird...I just had no idea what you guys did to stay sane...still waiting for that answer?

      Delete
  5. This is GREAT! Man, you're one to look up to, you know that? I have met so many fabulous women over at HP, and it's wonderful to be able to see them spread their talent all around the internet like you and Stacy do. :) You're awesome, and the girls are amazing. Rides on the garage door?!?? That's amazing! I never thought to play like that when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish I would have had a Mom like you. Loved this post and the pictures.

    ReplyDelete