Monday, October 1, 2012

It's Not So Good in the New Neighborhood!

Two huge things were going on in in 2005...I bought a new house and quit working to be a stay at home mom.  I started a small business that required my husbands full time employment in a field that we both worked in.  He was not warm to the idea of this entrepreneurial type business at first, but slowly, I convinced him that we could make a living selling information.

Information is a commodity that not many think about.  It is never free is it?  And the beauty of it is - you can sell the same information OVER and OVER again to different people.  You hear me?  Information is a very valuable thing to have. 

When we are younger we think we know it all.  When we get older, we fear we don't know enough.

I love having a small business and one of the advantages is that a lot of it is done from home.  I knew that I needed to buy a bigger house prior to quitting my job because our small business had only been operating for about 18 months at that time.  No lender would use that for a loan reference.

One of the resources we use are the court house research rooms in local counties.  Many matters of public record can only be obtained through their books and records.  Location, location, location.  We had to move in a central area near as many adjacent county seats as possible.  I wanted to buy private property.  My husband wanted to move to a suburban neighborhood so that the kids would have friends to play with!

Dave won and I made up my mind that I would make the best of it.  I am a very private person and I love to socialize, but I am very particular about when I feel like doing that.  I don't want neighbors, really.  Sorry.  Two or more people in a group and you will eventually have some conflict.  I try to avoid that at all costs.  Neighbors scare me.  They can't be easily gotten rid of, if things get ugly.



I found a decent two story home adjacent to a corn field.  Bonus - it's on a corner lot.  We moved in quietly, a couple people smiled and waved but everyone pretty much kept their distance.  I thought this was a good sign! Boy was I wrong!

The next day, a girl came over from across the street and introduced herself.  Turns out - she lived with her parents and her three children, ages 3 to 12.  I asked her in and she launched into the business of filling me in about everyone in the neighborhood.  I knew what that meant, too.  Soon, she would be running door to door informing the neighborhood about me.  I told her very little.

I decided I was going to just try to be polite but distant.  The attached video is exactly how I feel about neighbors and how you should behave.  Just don't get too chummy.

Next, the little lady next door came over.  Let's call her Carrie.  (Like in the Stephen King Novel!) 



Carrie, short brown hair, blunt cut - no make up.  Carrie spoke with her arms crossed, body slightly rocking, chin up.  I knew right away this was  a "little Hitler" and I resisted the urge to salute her.  I already knew I was not gonna be asking her over for a glass of wine.  Too freaking up tight and knowledgeable.  You know the kind.

Carrie and her husband, Anis have 3 kids.  The kids are nice.  I kindly said all the right stuff and sent Carrie packing while I finished my own unpacking.  I am pretty good at avoiding people so I didn't see anyone much for a while.  I did think things were odd though.  It was like we were being avoided.  I did not mind this at all though so I just enjoyed the silence.  This went on for two years!

I was commenting to my husband that there was something weird about this 'hood.  He said it was just my over active imagination until one night when we were coming home from dinner out.  It was just about dark as we drove down our street.  Carrie, Anis and a few neighbors were playing basketball in the hoop that I have in my driveway.

The second they saw our headlights - the ball dropped and rolled and everyone ran!  Dave looked at me and we were both laughing, incredulous!

"What was that about?" he asked with a shocked look on his face.  "They scattered like roaches!"

Well, one day a lady that lived down the block struck up a conversation with me.  I liked her a lot - she was an older lady and a smart one too! She did end up sharing with me a very funny story.

Apparently, since I did not fully inform my neighbors about how I earn a living they decided to make some assumptions of their own!  I guess since I only run out for shopping and errands, and Dave leaves the house at 10 or 11 wearing cargo shorts, carrying a brief case gave them lots to talk about.

Nobody was talking TO us.  They were too busy talking ABOUT us.  I found out that we were in the Witness Protection Program!  Yes! They got me! They figured it all out.  Genius! 

I did have a couple of suits from the IRS come knocking on my door shortly after we moved in.  They were looking for the previous owners.  I suppose that could have added some fuel.

Eventually it got around that we have a legit business and things settled down for several years. 

Like a time bomb waiting to explode - after 7 years - the ticking started.  I do not want to waste a bunch of my time getting all involved with the neighbors.  I did find a way to effectively deal with a bad neighbor.

I was trying to figure out how to make Carrie and Anis just stay the hell on their own lawn after several ridiculous visits about my dogs barking.  Suddenly, the people with three large dogs of their own, protest my indoor dogs barking.  We all know it isn't about the dogs folks. 

I noticed a peculiar thing about people.  They behave in ways privately that they would NEVER be caught dead doing if all eyes were on them.  So I decided to put it to the test.  I have now outfitted my house with Night Owl Security cameras.  If they are not embarrassed about their behaviour then I supposed it would continue.  If they wouldn't want the whole world to see what they were doing, because they know it's wrong - they would stop.

So far so good! Here ya go - take care of that naughty neighbor quietly so you can enjoy the rest of your life!

http://realhousewife.hubpages.com/_188siy2o6o960/hub/The-Neighbor-The-Night-Owl

Keep it Real!


12 comments:

  1. OMG - I live out in the country and our neighbors don't live that close, but we share the road. Oh man, do I EVER regret the day I offered to have the couples over for a potluck dinner. That started it all. We were all friendly and then the "rich" ones tried to bully us into paying for repairs on our gravel road. The same one we lived on for four years before they ever came into the picture. To "repair" 1/4 mile of road was going to cost $5000 and they just expected us to fork over our share. Well, when I'm backed into a corner, especially because I don't have thousands of dollars laying around to put gravel on a road, I lashed out. I gave them the "business" and told them that we had maintained the road for four years and that we should have to pay #%^@ for it. They didn't like that at all. But, without us, they went ahead and paid to repair the road. AND, it's already eroding. See, hubby and I just used a small tractor and some gravel - about $100 every two years to maintain the road. Now, they don't like us and don't much talk to us. Thank God. Now, if we could figure out how to keep the lady from walking by our house 8-12 times a day, that would be great. The road goes right by our house and we hear her walking by. Can I just buy 20 acres way out somewhere? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you stood up for yourself Cyndi! Big people can be bullies too. That is ridiculous for them to expect you to just hand over that kind of money. If it was an agreeable improvement - fine. But it doesn't sound like they were trying to either work a solution out that made you both happy or fix it themselves.

      And yeah - gravel washes out everytime it storms really good. I lived in an area with all back roads like that when I was a teen - we all knew to watch out for washboard! hahaha

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear THOSE neighbors are behaving. Those rats! Good job on the blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christopher! Thanks so much - you know you encouraged me to do it and I think you are a super smart guy. I know when to shut up and listen:) lol

      Delete
  3. Thankfully, we have nice neighbors...although one day, when I was walking my dog, the old lady down the street yelled at me for making her dog bark. WTF? People are strange. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha You MADE her dog bark? Shame on you! That's cuz your hot Julie!

      Delete
  4. Oh, Now I have never made the connection that the ones that thought you were in the witness protection program were the same ratty neighbors giving you trouble. Now the story makes a complete circle and all makes sense. I still think you should post some of those videos on youtube! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah Stacy - same ones! They are the neighborhood "we own the block and everyone has to put up with our jerky attitude" family. I was laughing so hard - I mean really. If life was all that exciting! So I wonder what they thought I actually DID to get into the WPP?

      I don't think the problem is anything we are actually doing. I think they have issues as a family and I am a real easy target sitting right next door. I guess it is easier for them to blame me for their misery than to actually focus on the real problems, you know?

      Delete
  5. Wow Kelly, I thought we had some crazy neighbors, but yours seem to take the cake. Very much enjoyed though reading your trials and tribulations both here and on Hubpages too :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Janine! I totally love HP and Blogger now! I love learning from all of you great bloggers..so thank YOU!

      Delete
  6. It is always difficult when you don't get along with your neighbors--wow--sounds like it was really a pain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they are for sure weirdos. After a long period of silence - my 11 year old was outside washing the dog at 11am and the dogs were not cooperating and they were barking. That guy came outside and was video taping her and taunting and laughing at her! A little KID! And she is real sweet too that is the sad thing. It just about broke my heart.

      I feel that his behavior is scary so I don't wanna make it worse. I really am not a shrink but I do think he is playing his game out on the wrong field so I don't want to keep his focus on us. I explained to my girls that I really think he is having problems and mental ones so not to anger him! I am doing my best to keep it quiet! Just in case I can keep him at bay with those cameras!

      Delete