Monday, October 8, 2012

Bully, Bully....

I never thought that I would be involved in a situation where my child is being bullied.  I have one daughter who is in college and two in middle school.  They are each honor roll students, involved in other activities and have never been sent to the Principal's office for attitude or behavioral issues.

I was surprised when my daughter told me that another student had knocked her down in the hallway at school.  "Tell me what happened," I asked.

"I was just standing in the hallway talking to a couple of friends and this girl walked up behind me, kicked the back of my knee and I collapsed onto the concrete floor." Sydney explained.

"Why would she do that to you?"

"I don't know, I didn't do anything to her," she said.

"Well, I don't know Syd, she probably didn't mean to actually knock you down.  Maybe she was just trying to say, "hi!" and get your attention?" I offered.  "I don't think she actually meant for you to fall to the ground!"

"Yeah," Sydney agreed "probably not."

"OK well let it slide and lets just assume it was an accident, OK?" I said.

She seemed fine with that and we let the matter drop.  I thought that was the end of it until I got this text message from Sydney at school.

     "I have a bloody mouth, got punched in the face."

I was horrified! Now what?  I waited patiently for her to come home.  I wanted to hear the whole situation and in her series of emails she said she didn't want me to tell on the other girl.  I later learned that Sydney actually was holding her text book very close to her face while sitting at her desk.  The same girl walked by, punched the book and smashed it into her face causing her lip to split and bleed.

My daughter said she felt so humiliated and she tried not to cry while she got up and went to the rest room.  That part breaks my heart ... to understand this feeling of shame and not want it for her.  She went on to tell me that all of the students are talking about the situation but none of the teachers seem to know.

This IS a bully situation.  The sad thing is that other child needs intervention right now! I am taking the steps to empower my child.  I have spoken with her in depth about what this means.

This situation is NOT about her.  It's about a child who has not been taught to control her emotions or cope well.  The anger she must be feeling probably has very little to do with Sydney but she is a convenient outlet for this girl.  Once she figures out that she will not bully my daughter, she will unfortunately move on to another person's child.

If a parent sends their child to public school they need to learn the rules.  If they do not learn how to behave, I believe it is the job of the public school to intervene at THIS age!  Every doctor, every psychologist and every psychiatrist will tell you that if counseling will be effective it is at the youngest age possible.  These kids that act out aggressively need some sort of behavior modification classes.

I placed a photo of my child on my personal facebook with the caption, "This Child Won't Be a Victim"....I knew that many of my friends would offer support and this would allow my daughter to not fear having told an adult.  I knew this would show her that she did the right thing.  I wanted to allow her to feel strong and not weak.  Not only did my friends support her, but many students and friends of all of ours.  For that I am so grateful.  It really helped her to not be afraid to talk about this.

I spoke to the 6th grade principal and he was so engaging and I felt like he really cared.  He explained the school will be including the program "Rachel's Challenge" in the near future.  This program teaches children about caring and compassion.  I felt he was truly understanding the situation.  He gave me some tips and asked if they could speak to Sydney and connect her to another teacher or counselor who could stay apprised of the situation.

Next, the 7th grade principal (who didn't know I already spoke to the other principal) called me.  I almost felt deflated.  She seemed totally disinterested, uninvolved and had nothing to offer.  She did say she would speak to my child and investigate the matter further but then I think she was finished painting her nails so she had to let me go.

I will have my eyes on the school and I did feel compelled to tell the 7th grade principal that I will not tolerate my child being bullied at school.  It should not happen again.  I am anxiously waiting to hear what Sydney says about how today went.  I hope that for us, the bully will move on.  I hope for society that we find a way to deal with these children that scream "help" before we have another news event.

6 comments:

  1. That's scary, Kelly. This is a situation that could escalate if it isn't nipped in the bud. It sounds like you're on top of things. As a teacher, I always cringed a little when parents wanted to contact me about something, but with this, I would WANT a parent to contact me. I'd almost contact ALL her teachers to let them know to be especially vigilant. That way you have documentation of handling things on your end - an email and write down when you called and the events. That way, if you need to get the Student Resource Officer involved, you'll have the documentation that they'll need. In this day and age, bullying is a really, really serious issue and the kid doing the bullying needs to be stopped - like you said. The schools mean well, but I think they get overwhelmed with ten million things going on every day...they might not stay on top of this. Just be vigilant, and tell Syd to not show weakness - tell her to stay strong and never show fear. That will fuel the bully. She might have to stand up to that girl and really put her foot down. I had to do that when I was younger with a bully who wouldn't leave me alone. Hang in there. I'm thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cyndi - yeah I totally agree! I think these behaviors - if they aren't stopped - precipitate worse behavior. My step dad is and M.D. and my mother is an R.N. - they both said that these tend to turn into adults who behave the same way. These will be the future bullies you meet at work...for instance! I do feel it's scary that we are in it - so yeah, I'm gonna keep on top of it:)

    Syd did speak to the principal at school today. She explained that she does not really know this girl or talk to her. Honestly, I feel she is still confused about why this is happening to her.

    I had a girl that did the SAME thing to me! Her name was Suzanne. She was MEAN and lots bigger than me - she would kick me in the shins with her boots on. Follow me, pushing me, telling me she was going to beat me up. I look back and have to laugh because I was pretty smart for a 6th grader:) I worked in the cafeteria at lunch time so I could keep my lunch money - haha - and I decided that girl had no reason to be mean to me other than she was just plain mean. Then I thought maybe no one ever did anything NICE for her - so I gave her extra french fries in the lunch line. She never bothered me again and she smiled when she saw I did that. From that day on - I gave the mean kids extra fries:) hahaha I got in trouble from the lunch lady too! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. My oldest son was always being bullied by a little brat at the bus stop. I had a talk with his mom and she had the nerve to tell me to "deal with it." So, I went to the principal. He talked to the brat and the parent and it only escalated the situation. After a month or more of being pushed, hit and kicked by this brat, my son had finally had enough and punched the other kid. For that, he was suspended for 3 days. To say I was pissed was an understatement. And on top of it all, the bleep mother threatened to sue. I told her to bring it and I would counter sue for mental anguish, torture, assault, and everything else I could talk the attorney into slapping her with. She ended up losing her job and moving out of state. I guess her brat learned the bad behavior from home.

    I really hope that you and your girls have been able to move past this bullying incident and get on to the fun things in life! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terrye I would have been so MAD too! I am still kinda mad about how the 7th grade Principal sounded like she was gonna just blow it off. That is totally why I am taking notes and writing down names. I also know by blogging about it - I am being vocal and you know people tend to want to "do the right thing" when all eyes are on them:) So weird...if it's between just two people who knows what will be said or done but if a crowd is watching suddenly we have an attack of "the morals!" ahaha

      Delete
  4. Kelly, I love that while looking out for your girl you are also concerned for the bully, and want her to get support to dealt with her issues. I so agree with you when you say it is a dry for help that shouldn't be ignored.
    When she was 7, one of my girls was beaten up in the toilets (restrooms!) by an older girl. My daughter managed to get away and told her teacher. Several other kids then said they'd been attacked by the same girl. The school dealt with it very well, and the girl was monitored for some time afterwards, with a teaching assistant going with her on toilet visits. The girl had issues (I have no idea what, but the school knew.) I also don't know what the school did, but the girl never hassled mine again, and as far as I am aware she does okay now in High School. Bullying is by no means always dealt with that way in the UK, but it certainly shows it can be done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melovy! First - that stuff breaks my heart. For the child who gets picked on - they don't understand that! It hurts - physically and mentally. And I do feel sorry in a way for the bully and I specifically told our prinicipal I did not want to embarrass or humiliate the other child. I really think she needs intervention right now. If they can help her figure the issues out now she might make a happier and more productive adult. If not - I suppose she won't find better ways to cope.

      I can tell Sydney feels better and things seem back to normal! Knock wood!

      Thank you so much and yeah - I know you would definitely address this kind of issue too! lol

      Delete